A question for my blog readers…

My role at work has recently changed. While I will continue to be working with SQL Server, I will also be spending a good chunk of my time working in our newly acquired Teradata environment. My plan is to blog about both as time permits, but I am trying to determine whether I should create a separate blog for the Teradata content. So my question for you, dear reader, is whether you think I should blog on this site about both SQL Server *and* Teradata, or whether I should separate the content? Any input is appreciated.

0saves
Tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to A question for my blog readers…

1. Shaun says:

I think I’d prefer two blogs, but do whatever is easiest for you. Or one blog with two feeds, that way people could only subscribe to what they are interested in.

2. I agree with Shaun regarding the two feeds. One site would be fine, tags and/or categories would be able to keep them separate pretty easily.

3. Karen Lopez says:

Make good use of categories. Every category has an RSS feed, so you could help people who only want to read about one thing can follow those in their readers or click on those categories. You have to remember to tag with the right DBMS every time, though.

I’d read them all, though. Always be learning.

4. Vishal Desai says:

Same blog Seperate Category. For google reader users they can user seperate tag entries for sql server and teradata.

5. Cathal says:

I would second the too feeds

6. Cathal says:

I would second the two feeds.

7. I would keep both topics on sqlfool unless you can or want to slice sqlfool.com into a subdomain (teradata.sqlfool.com) type setup for Teradata. Honestly though, people come to you and your site for your skills not just regarding SQL Server but as an overall highly skilled database professional. That doesn’t mean databases only live on SQL Server setups. Teradata will have much value as content on sqlfool.com just the same as SQL Server will. I personally look very much forward to reading as you work through the new environment :) Exciting to learn outside our SQL Server box. Congrats on the new challenge. They picked the right person to take it on :)

8. dmmaxwell says:

Like all database questions – it depends. :-) Is your blog about SQL, or about you?

9. james says:

separate please

10. Drew Jones says:

My suggestion would be to create separate RSS feeds: TD, SQL and All (and tag filters on your blog site). I have seen that appeoach on several blogs I follow. It allows me great flexibility in the way I consume it in my feed reader. Then you have one “brand” but the content is easily segmented for your readers. Just my $.02. Looking forward to some TD content.

Cheers…

11. Gonçalo says:

I’d prefer if you’d blog about both environments! Drawing some technical comparisons between the two would give some good perspective about the database landscape, and the strengths and weaknesses of each one.

12. Michael Zilberstein says:

I would prefer single blog. At these days of big data many environments have complex architectures that contain more than one DB product. So it would be very interesting to read how Teradata and SQL live in the same environment, architecture issues etc.

13. I would agree with Shaun – if it isn’t a big deal I would say separate them out (and moonlight as TeraDataFool {-;)

14. I would agree with Shaun and say keep them separate (and moonlight as TeraDataFool {-:)

15. Leonardo says:

I wouldn’t mind to see some Teradata information in your current blog at all, easy enough to skip it if a specific topic really doesn’t pick my interest.
    But like Jeremiah Pechka on Brent’s blog discuss a lot of NoSQL and others, I actually find quite informative to see those DBMS from the point of view of a SQL Server DBA

16. Chuck Rummel says:

If you can create multiple rss feeds, separated by tag as Shaun hinted, I’d think that would be the most flexible for readers while minimizing extra work for you – one for teradata, one for mssql, and one for everything you post even if it doesn’t related to either. Then you can have articles where you explain how you’ve integrated teradata into your existing microsoft sql environment, or how you chose teradata over competitors (hint for future topics) and just tag them as needed to make them show in each feed.

17. David says:

I’d be happy with either of Shaun’s suggestions, as long as we can see only the SQL Server-related posts. Thanks for asking!

18. David says:

I agree with Shaun, one blog with two feeds would be fine. I look foward to your Teradata posts, there’s a huge opportunity for information sharing when it comes to Teradata knowledge.

19. Todd Everett says:

I’d prefer to see it all in one place. I would love to hear how you find SQL Server compares to Teradata and the pros and cons of each – beyond the hype and the obvious. Look forward to reading!

20. Randall says:

I highly recommend two different blogs, you will find that these products a very different from each other and wrapping your head around the terdata techniques and concepts will take some getting use to at first. Good luck with this endevour by the way.

21. Andy Warren says:

I’d vote for one blog, just tag posts accordingly and go! Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures.

22. Thank you for your input, Shaun! My Twitter responses are mostly saying I should keep both content on my SQLFool.com blog, so I’ll probalby do as you suggest and create 2 separate feeds. :)

23. Malcolm Burtt says:

I’m with Shaun. Its clearly going to be easier for you and probably for a proportion of your readers if evrythign goes into one blog and you can still keep pure SQL Server guys like me happy by providing feeds that split the content.

Thanks for asking! :-)

24. Tahir Gul says:

As you know we are programming guys where every thing should be modularized, loosely coupled and highly cohesive. In my opinion you must have two blogs, if possible.

25. Rowland Gosling says:

I love your enthusiasm! You give so much of yourself to our community already..do you really need to do more? LOL Seriously, I’ve met you several times at PASS and no one works harder at her craft than you. Make some time for the hubby and kids. I’d say put down the iPad but that would be my own beloved ;)

Best Wishes
    Rowland

26. I vote for keeping the same blog. I would like an option of a blended RSS feed to make sure I don’t miss it– you can manage the feeds with feedburner if you don’t already.

I look forward to learning about Teradata. While my focus is on SQL Server, I love learning about other technologies, how things compare, pros and cons, integration, and all the nerdy-dataness you can muster. Please bring it on!

27. Meher says:

Two blogs is ok but please link each blog site on both so that we can read both of them.

Thanks
    Meher

28. Shahryar G. Hashemi says:

I say do both in 1. Hard to maintain 2 blogs and keep them up.

29. I’d prefer two blogs, because when i want only SQL Server or Teradata stuf I’ll know where i should look for it..

30. I think my earlier comment may have vanished– hopefully this isn’t a duplicate. :)

I vote same blog. If you go multi-feed, Feedburner is great.

But I would like to say that I’m thrilled you’re interested in blogging about Teradata. I think a lot of your readers, like myself, would love to learn more about what you’re working with, what’s easy to do, what’s hard to do, and about your adventure in data in general. Exciting!

31. Wow. And here I thought only Shaun had commented, when in reality everyone’s comments were going to the Spam section. Doh! I’ll have to figure out what’s going on there. But THANK YOU everyone! The responses are overwhelmingly to keep the same site with 2 different feeds, so that’s what I’ll do. I really appreciate the input and encouragement! You guys (and gals) rock. :)

32. Yong Choi says:

One blog with two feeds as Shaun puts would be nice.

33. Rich Yarger says:

Hi Michelle! Happy to hear that you role is expanding! I too am in a similar situatoin as a consultant right now that is mixed with SQL and MySQL. More on that later. I would agree with the majority of those who have sounded off that the use of catagories and a separate blog between the 2 DBMS’s would be perfect. I also wanted to get in touch with you about that parseString_UDF you have me look at a while back (I think I may have found a use for it, but want to make sure I do not violate any licensing you may have put in place since).

Take care!

Rich Yarger (a.k.a. SQL_ME_RICH)

34. Glen Joseph says:

Me to in this situation now, where in addition to SQL i have to support newsql platforms. Keep it in the same blog but under a different cataegory.

Regards